Reverend Jayne

marriage license process

Obtaining a Marriage License    

A North Carolina Marriage License may be obtained from the Register of Deeds Office in any county in North Carolina. The license is good for 60 days from the date of issue and a ceremony can be held in any location within North Carolina. After the ceremony, the license must be returned to the county that issued the license. 

Steps to Obtain a Marriage License in North Carolina

Clink on the link below to find your Register of Deeds office in your County.

Click Here »

Contact Us

201 North Chestnut Street

Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Phone: 336 703 2700 (Live)

Recorded Line: 336 703 2701

Email: Contact Us

Office Hours

8:00 — 5:00 (Monday — Friday)

Obtain Marriage License

8:00 — 4:30 (Monday — Friday)

changing your last name

 How to Change Your Last Name After the Wedding     

There are two ways you can do it, and one of them is super simple.

Just because you have a marriage license with your new last name, doesn't mean you've officially changed your name. (If you thought that was the hard part, wait until you see the lines at the social security office and DMV.) 

 1. Get your marriage license.  

Before you can change your name, you'll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal. Call the clerk's office where your license was filed to get copies if one wasn't automatically sent to you. 

 2. Change your Social Security card. 

Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You'll keep the same number—just your name will be different. Mail in your application to the local Social Security Administration office, or just go through the process while you're there. You should get your new card within 10 business days. 

 3. Change your license at the DMV.  

Take a trip to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new license with your new last name. Bring every form of identification that your local DMV instructs you to—including your current license, your certified marriage certificate and, most importantly, your new Social Security card. 

 4. Change your bank accounts.  

This one's a biggie, especially if you're setting up a joint bank account, or if you have one already set up. The fastest way to change your name at your bank is to go into a branch location, bringing your new driver's license and your marriage certificate. You should request new checks and debit and credit cards on top of changing the name attached to your accounts. Something to note: You might get hit with fees for requesting a new debit card. 

 5. Fill in the blanks 

Once you have a Social Security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify: 

    • Employers/payroll -Post office (if your address has changed too) 
    • Electric and other utility companies 
    • Credit card companies 
    • Schools and alumni associations 
    • Landlord or mortgage company 
    • Insurance companies (auto, home, life) 
    • Doctors' offices 
    • Voter registration office 
    • Investment account providers 
    • Your attorney (to update legal documents, including your will) 
    • Passport office 
    • Airlines (to transfer over your miles)


Click here to contact us today!